dowhatthouwilt

Thursday, January 04, 2007

The Music Of The Night

"In sleep he sang to me, in dreams he came. That voice which calls to me, that speaks my name. And do I dream again? For now I find, the phantom of the opera is there inside my mind"

I've always been a huge fan of musicals; from RENT to Les Miserables. The theater movie (The adaptation of the musical) of the Phantom of the Opera was an IMMENSE disappointment, with bad directing and a sissy of a Phantom that sounded like he was about to break into an emo ballad and start crying buckets of tears because the girl in school wouldn't look at him in the canteen. But the staged musical is finally coming to town again and I wouldn't miss it for the world! Already have my tickets. Yay!

The irony of it all is that I loved musicals more than I loved hard rock. There's something sensual and sensational about the grandeur of a full-on musical production. Do yourself a favour and purchase the COMPLETE SYMPHONIC RECORDING of LES MISERABLES. I love the romanticism of it all. Men fighting for freedom, a love triangle doomed for demise, revolution on the streets, etc. Les Miserables, the novel by Victor Hugo, is perhaps my favourite book of all time. Not recommended for casual readers because it is immensely long-winded and detailed. I wonder how authors of the past could have the patience to PEN down everything with ink.

Anyway, for new years eve, I was 'stuck' at Downtown East performing a countdown show. We were amongst the only english performers of the whole night, and watched by a crowd of mostly cheena piang Project Supersissy fans and chinese pop idols. I've nothing against chinese music, mind you, but have you ever noticed how Mandarin male singers/idols have that same clean teeth/glittering happy eyes/boy next door smile/generic gelled spiky hair style on them that makes you feel like smearing their lips with solidified fart? Highly fucked up.

Headde to East Coast Park afterwards while my friends and I wandered around aimlessly and ended up in Parkway eating tidbits and chocolate.

So it's another year of fun and work ahead, which I actually look forward to. We're starting on the recording of the second album and the songs are being worked out.

I've had friends telling me their sisters / brothers / friend's friends think highly of me as an 'idol' and that I'm 'hot'. People who know me know how permanently warped I feel about this. It's very strange. For one thing, I know for a FACT I am not hot, and I also know that my general public behaviour isn't something to look up to HAHA! Still it is flattering. Makes me feel like giggling like a school girl into my pillow at night hee hee heeeeeeeeeeeeeee cough.

I've always wanted to sing as the Phantom of the Opera one day. Erik. Go read the book. It's great.

10 Comments:

At 6:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those superstar all no standrad one.Gals act like Cyndi Wang while guys act like sum gay chinese boyband membrs.I wonder why sum of my chinese spakin frens watch,they sounded awful.I would rathr watch sg idol or american idol or rockstar inxs/supernova.

 
At 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

click my name i have another site where i pen down crap sometimes... hahaha i liek thi spost lerp its hilariouss. now im gonna imitate yr sissy school girl gigggle and go to bed. take care see you soon hope you had fun skating today

 
At 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its like when we do watch those so-called Chinese talent shows, it's just the first few episodes where those weirdos shame themselves.

And, er, nice giggle. xD

 
At 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael ball - the greatest phantom of them all. =)

wouldn't you rather play enjolras?

 
At 12:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

last year for my english o's, i chose the topic about chasing one's dreams, and i cited you as an example :)

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Holy. I always adored this musical.

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Becky Cheung said...

It had been some time since I drop by your blog.

Anyway, Hugo is sometimes identified as the greatest French poet - La Légende des siècles stand particularly high in critical esteem. Notre-Dame de Paris (translated into English as The Hunchback of Notre-Dame, I think? )is actually well known, too. ;)

The Phantom of the Opera ( Le Fantôme de l’Opéra ) is cool yet reading it is always the best I feel or perhaps I hold Literature as the highest form of art because its beauty is the most intangible. It's aesthetic exists solely in the reader's mind, evoked and aided by the words that the author chooses to express himself with. It comes from the feelings the write evokes in you because of the way he uses the language.

As for so called chinese talent shows its Capitalism that appeals for the masses but I think the Angpows ( red packets ) are awesome, followed closely by xiao long baos appeals to us all! Heh.

Hah. Good day to all. ;)

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louboutin, louis vuitton outlet stores, louis vuitton outlet, coach factory outlet, tory burch outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, polo ralph lauren outlet, prada handbags, jordan shoes, burberry outlet, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, air max, prada outlet, longchamp handbags, true religion jeans, louboutin outlet, coach purses, coach outlet, gucci outlet, ray ban sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses cheap, christian louboutin shoes, louis vuitton handbags, oakley sunglasses, nike shoes, louis vuitton, longchamp handbags, michael kors outlet, air max, tiffany and co, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet, coach outlet store online, louboutin, kate spade outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, kate spade handbags, burberry outlet, nike free, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

chi flat iron, north face jackets, vans shoes, uggs outlet, marc jacobs, north face outlet, herve leger, reebok outlet, soccer jerseys, nike huarache, ugg pas cher, insanity workout, ghd, hollister, wedding dresses, soccer shoes, mcm handbags, canada goose outlet, ugg boots, mac cosmetics, abercrombie and fitch, ferragamo shoes, canada goose, babyliss pro, beats by dre, longchamp, celine handbags, p90x, ugg, rolex watches, instyler, ugg australia, birkin bag, canada goose jackets, ugg boots, giuseppe zanotti, uggs outlet, ugg boots, nike roshe run, valentino shoes, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, bottega veneta, lululemon outlet, mont blanc, jimmy choo outlet, new balance shoes

 
At 1:21 AM, Blogger jeje said...

yeezy boost 350 v2
kobe basketball shoes
adidas yeezy
lebron shoes
true religion jeans
lebron 13 shoes
nmd
yeezy boost 350
chrome hearts
michael kors factory outlet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home